How to Receive Assistance

Eligible families may be assisted with their temporary emergency financial needs, including:

  • A portion of the rental deposit or a portion of the first month’s rent
  • Utility deposit, utility shut off


In order to determine eligibility and to assess your current situation, it is necessary to schedule an appointment with a Family Development case worker. It is necessary to bring the appropriate documentation to your appointment. Failure to do so can result in our inability to provide assistance. Be advised that a Tenant’s Rights Class will be required prior to receiving rental assistance.

Please bring ALL of the indicated documents to your FIRST appointment:

1. Proof of all past and future income

  • All pay stubs from the last 3 months (For a new job, get a “employer verification form”)
  • Printouts from ORS, SSI, & DWS (12 month Benefit report from MYCASE)
  • An Employer Verification form is needed when a job is new, a job has ended recently, or for a change in hours/pay.
  • Bank statements

2. Proof of other resources

  • Statement from a family member if can help or not
  • Statement from a friend if can help or not
  • (If applicable) Statement from a church leader if can help or not
  • If have children under 18, apply for Emergency Assistance rent help at DWS and bring a statement of approval/denial (866-435-7414)

3. Proof of housing or (almost) homeless situation

  • Lease—at least 6 months long and with terms filled out
  • Eviction notice with breakdown of amounts owed
  • Landlord’s full name, address, and phone number
  • Utility shut-off notice OR statement of amount owed for deposi
  • Rent payment ledger or history of payments to landlord/utility company

4. Proof of your spending* (will be compared to income to show why you lack money)

  • Receipts of all household and personal expenses from the last 3 months including written statements as receipts to account for cash transactions. Bank statements work for this also.

*In general, be prepared to prove through documentation both current financial need and access to future stability (including lack of money and alternative assistance. Future income will need to be greater than expenses).

5. Identification

  • All adults: Picture ID, Birth Certificate, and Social Security card
  • All children (under 18): Birth Certificate and Social Security card
  • If in 3rd trimester of pregnancy: official document from doctor with estimated due date

*Additional documents may be required to receive assistance depending on your situation. A tenant’s rights class will also be required in order to receive assistance.

Comments are closed.