Emergency Assistance


Our Family Development team works to empower families by providing resources to solve an immediate need. Assistance may come in the form of food, bus tokens, rent or deposit assistance, clothing vouchers, hotel vouchers, transportation assistance, furniture vouchers, or utility assistance, etc. Clients do not automatically qualify for all forms of assistance. 

To qualify for assistance, you are required to meet with one of our case workers to assess needs, determine eligibility and create a plan of action to resolve the crisis. Come in during our office hours to meet with a case worker. Please fill out a client intake form and bring it with you to shorten your wait time.


In order to determine eligibility and to assess your current situation, it is necessary to schedule an appointment with an Emergency Assistance case worker. You must bring the appropriate documentation to your appointment. Failure to do so can result in our inability to provide assistance. 

  1. Proof of all past and future income

  • All pay stubs from the last 3 months (For a new job, get a “employer verification form”)
  • Printouts from ORS, & DWS (12 month Benefit report from MYCASE)
  • An Employer Verification form is needed when a job is new, a job has ended recently, or for a change in hours/pay.
  • Award Statement from Social Security showing monthly income
  • Bank statements
  1. Proof of other resources

  • Statement from a family member if can help or not
  • Statement from a friend if can help or not
  • (If applicable) Statement from a church leader if can help or not
  • If have children under 18, apply for Emergency Assistance at DWS and bring a statement of approval/denial (866-435-7414)
  1. Proof of housing or imminent homeless situation

  • Lease—at least 6 months long and with terms filled out
  • Eviction notice with breakdown of amounts owed
  • Landlord’s full name, address, and phone number
  • Utility shut-off notice OR statement of amount owed for deposit
  • Rent payment ledger or history of payments to landlord/utility company
  1. Proof of your spending* (will be compared to income to show why you lack money)

  • Receipts of all household and personal expenses from the last 3 months including written statements as receipts to account for cash transactions. Bank statements work for this also.

*In general, be prepared to prove through documentation both current financial need and access to future stability including lack of money and alternative assistance. Future income will need to be greater than expenses.

  1. Identification

  • All adults: Picture ID, Birth Certificate, and Social Security card
  • All children (under 18): Birth Certificate and Social Security card
  • If in 3rd trimester of pregnancy: official document from doctor with estimated due date

*Additional documents may be required to receive assistance depending on your situation. 

Frequently Asked Questions about Rent Assistance