Help Us Fill Our Shelves With #ValleyUnited
In Utah County, there are more than 73,600 people every day who don’t have access to enough food for a healthy life, including one in seven children. These people often have to decide between food and housing or medicine.
The goal of the annual Valley United food drive—happening now—is to reduce those numbers by stocking the shelves at the food bank and pantries run by Community Action Services and Food Bank. Organized by UVU and BYU students since 2012, the rivalry-fueled food drive brings in tens of thousands of dollars and donated food. Each year, the drive raises more money toward the mission of Community Action Services and Food Bank: To help families in crisis and help them become more self-reliant.
Last year, the drive raised more than $45,400—all for the local food bank. They’re hoping to top those numbers this year. Here’s how it works:
Where do donations go?
Community Action Services stocks food pantries for people in need in Provo, Heber, Kamas, and Coalville. We also send backpacks home with kids on weekends who don’t have enough food at home. All money and food donations help stock the shelves. For every dollar you donate, CASFB can provide people in need with 17 pounds of food.
How can I participate?
One of the easiest ways to participate in the food drive is to give online. You can donate at https://unitedwayuc.org/featured/byu-uvu-food-drive-2.
BYU has bins across campus set up for food donations. You also can donate money in the BYU Store, Cougareat, and Creameries.
On the UVU campus, you can purchase donation marks in the bookstore, or donate food in barrels located around campus.
There also are food and donation-gathering events on campus all month.
- Monday, Nov. 11, 10-1 p.m.: Donuts for Dollars, JFSB Quad and Brigham Square,
- Tuesday, Nov. 12, 6-9 p.m.: Food Blitz, Cougar Quad,
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, 7 p.m.: BYU Basketball BYU v SUU
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 1:15 p.m.: BYU Football BYU v Idaho St.,
- Monday, Nov. 18, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Cans & Cocoa, JFSB Quad and Brigham Square
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, 6-9 p.m.: Food Blitz, Cougar Quad
- Wednesday, Nov. 20, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Cupcake Mural, Terrace at WSC,
- Thursday, Nov. 21, 7 p.m.: BYU Volleyball BYU v Portland
- Saturday, Nov. 23, 1 p.m.: BYU Volleyball BYU v Gonzaga
- Friday, Nov. 15, 5 p.m.: Dodgeball Tournament, Lockhart Arena, ($25/team)
- Monday, Nov. 18, 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Monday Morning Waffles, SL118
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Cupcake Mural
- Thursday, Nov. 21, 7 p.m.: Men’s Basketball UVU v Lamar
When does the drive start and end?
The Valley United food drive already is underway and goes through the end of the month.
Since 2012, the Valley United food drive has been helping stock the shelves in food pantries in Utah, Summit, and Wasatch counties. You can help fill the pantries—and help your favorite school win bragging rights—by donating online or on campus.