Circles is a community-based initiative focused on helping struggling individuals and families become self-reliant.
What is Circles about?
What is a Circle Leader?
Circle Leaders are low-income individuals who are trying to leave poverty and are committed to working towards financial stability. They attend weekly meetings, beginning with a 12-week course in which they learn SMART goal setting, budgeting, and life skills, then create a plan to achieve financial stability. (Dinner and children’s programming are provided weekly.) They continue coming each week for a minimum of 18 months to receive support from Coaches, Allies, and Peers to accomplish their goals. Through this accountability process, Circle Leaders are able to increase income, decrease debt, and get off public assistance. They graduate from Circles when they have reached their financial goals and are able to maintain stability.
Interested in becoming a Circle Leader?
What is an Ally?
Circle Allies are middle-class volunteers from the community who become intentional friends to struggling individuals and families by providing encouragement, acceptance, support, life experience, and social networks. Once matched, Allies and Circle Leaders meet regularly to work on goals, address problems, and celebrate accomplishments. The influence of a friend can mean a lifetime of success for individuals stuck in the cycle of poverty. These relationships provide an important sense of belonging and a foundation for success that lasts a lifetime.
What do I gain as an Ally?
- Two trainings to prepare you for your role and help you better understand poverty culture
- Dinner and a children’s program provided for you and your family at each evening Circles meeting
- The chance to build relationships with other Circle Leaders and Allies
- Support from staff on site who can mediate concerns, provide advice, and direct to resources
- The opportunity to witness the impact of your volunteer work and to make a long-lasting difference in the local community
Interested in becoming a Circle Ally?
How can I help?
- Befriend a Circle Leader
- Offer emotional support as needed
- Help Circle Leaders clarify their goals and identify incremental steps to reach each goal
- Submit and pass a criminal background check