Emergency Assistance

Our Family Development team works to empower families by providing resources to solve an immediate need. Assistance may come in the form of food, bus tokens, rent or deposit assistance, clothing vouchers, hotel vouchers, transportation assistance, furniture vouchers, utility assistance, etc. Clients do not automatically qualify for all forms of assistance.

To qualify for assistance, you are required to meet with one of our caseworkers to assess needs, determine eligibility, and create a plan of action to resolve the crisis. During these COVID-19 times, emergency assistant interviews are done for the most part on the phone. To start the process please create a client profile by clicking on this link. Should you have any questions please email us here or call 801.691.5238. Case managers will respond to your email or call as quickly as possible. If you have worked with a case manager in the past, you may call their number directly for assistance.

If you are in need of emergency rent assistance, we have programs that can help. If your housing needs are related to COVID-19, please fill out this form

If your needs are not due to COVID-19, then fill out the forms on this website

Once you’ve completed all forms, please call (801) 691-5238 to make an appointment with one of our case managers.


In order to determine eligibility and to assess your current situation, it is necessary to schedule an appointment with an emergency assistance caseworker. You must bring the appropriate documentation to your appointment. Failure to do so can result in our inability to provide assistance.

1. Proof of all past and future income
  • All pay stubs from the last three months
  • Printouts from ORS and DWS (12-month benefit report from MYCASE)
  • An employer verification form if a job is new, has ended recently, or has had a change in hours/pay
  • Award statement from Social Security showing monthly income
  • Bank statements
2. Proof of other resources
  • Statement from a family member about whether they if can help or not
  • Statement from a friend about whether they can help or not
  • If applicable, statement from a church leader about whether they can help or not
  • If you have children under 18, statement of approval/denial for emergency assistance from DWS (866-435-7414)
3. Proof of housing or imminent homeless situation
  • Lease—at least six-months long and with terms filled out
  • Eviction notice with breakdown of amounts owed
  • Landlord’s full name, address, and phone number
  • Utility shut-off notice OR statement of amount owed for deposit
  • Rent payment ledger or history of payments to landlord/utility company
4. Proof of your spending*
(Proof will be compared to income to show why you lack money.)

  • Receipts of all household and personal expenses from the last three months, including written statements as receipts to account for cash transactions (bank statements work as well)

*In general, be prepared to prove through documentation both current financial need and access to future stability, including lack of money and alternative assistance. Future income will need to be greater than expenses.

5. Identification
  • All adults: picture ID, birth certificate, and Social Security card
  • All children (under 18): birth certificate and Social Security card
  • If in third trimester of pregnancy: official document from doctor with estimated due date

*Additional documents may be required to receive assistance depending on your situation.

Frequently Asked Questions about Rent Assistance